Sunday 24 June 2012, 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm
At: To be announced , ,
The June family social is a Treasure Hunt. This will consist of finding things all over Edinburgh, then meeting up on the Sunday afternoon to see who has most. The time limit will be at least a couple of days (most likely Thursday evening to Sunday evening), and it will be possible to find everything either by car or, with a bit of planning, on foot or public transport. You may compete either on your own or as part of a team (I’d advise up to 4 maximum). There are no costs other than transportation, unless you want to buy stuff.
There will be two types of things to find:
20 cryptic (but hopefully not too difficult) clues will lead you to 20 locations in Edinburgh. You must have your photo taken at the location and if a specific feature is mentioned it should be in shot as well.
10 treasures will be listed, you get points for bringing these to the finish. As long as you can argue that the object you bring can be described by the definition then it counts. So a toy, model, drawing or photo of a robot would be acceptable.
Everything involved will have a connection to something Edinburgh Skeptics has done in the past or is doing in the future. This connection may end up being slightly tenuous in some cases.
Part 1 – 20 locations (for 3 points each).
To score the points you must bring a photo of the location
to the finish venue. At least one member of the team must be in shot.
- All the Mayans will be drinking here on the 21st of December.
- William Burke’s death mask is housed in this building.
- 2 Sailsbury Road – check out what you can learn here!
- The highest point of the once and future king’s Throne?
- I howled on my master’s grave – they’d set the gravestone on my tail.
- There’s nothing in Tollcross.
- Elementary medical care near Cameron Toll.
- A good venue for preserves in August.
- A-maze-ing spectral singers, and talks too!
- Forthcoming site of Edinburgh’s first school of Psychic Surgery.
- People rub my toe for luck.
- The birthplace of the man who took the first colour photograph (of a tartan ribbon)
- I look up North Bridge and disprove that notion about horse’s hooves.
- FOTSN are playing here in August
- Trevor McDonald’s favourite ex-skeptics venue
- A street lost for hundreds of years? I don’t think so.
- Ghosts and computer games should mix here.
- A clock that strikes every thousand years? What’s the point in that?
- 5% of all plant species on the planet can be found here
- Famous evidence for molten rocks
Part 2 – 10 treasures (5 points each) Bring these to the finish to claim your points!
Alternative Medecine Flyer
Free sample of Alternative Medecine
Drawing of an actual church
Something written by a cult
A magic trick
Something invented by a Scot.